Lil Woman on A Mission

Lil Woman on A Mission

Motivational Quote

"Commmitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer" -Marcia Wieder

Just Me

Just Me

Contact Information

Author of "A Collection of God's Word and Motivation" and "Lyrical Passion Tears from my Inkwell" My first book is available on www.westbowpress.com Connect with me on my fan page and enjoy my poetry! www.facebook.com/AuthorNicoleP.Rivers
Follow me on Twitter @LyricalFiYaH

Monday, September 30, 2013

SICKLE CELL DISEASE: HEARING OTHERS VOICE WITH THE DISEASE

A lot of people may not know that the whole month of September is Sickle Cell Month!  I want to start a new project and interview different people that has Sickle Cell, to hear their stories and how has SCD affected their life.  Sickle Cell Disease is an inherited blood disorder; a severe hereditary form of anemia in which a mutated form of hemoglobin distorts the red blood cells into a crescent shape at low oxygen levels. It is most common among those of African descent.
 
I want to be able to let a lot of people know about SCD and why it is so important.  I feel like the promotion of Sickle Cell in general doesn't get the attention it deserves.  The first person for my sickle cell project lives in Ghana, a 10-year old girl who suffers with the disease.  I asked Paul to find out some information about this young girl and he sincerely came through for me.
 
 
Story Courtesy by Paul Justice
 
Stella is a young girl from Ghana who lives with her parent,a brother and a sister. Stella has been living with Sickle Cell Disease for ten years now. One painful thing a Sickle Cell patient has are joint pains.  As for 10-year old Stella, she has been  been having periodic attacks where her family have take to the hospital or call for a nurse for some first aid.
 Because of the SCD, she has grown lean, but talks alright and lives normal, just with periodic attacks where she becomes weak. Medication she takes mediation called Folic Acid, which is good for the iron level and some other medications . Apart from that, she has accepted it as part of her life and goes on her daily activities normally each time.
 
 
Photo Courtesy by Paul Justice

For more information on Sickle Cell Disease, please visit www.sicklcelldisease.org and www.sicklecellhrva.org

No comments:

Post a Comment